Manage episode 360608843 series 1394353
Trey Lockerbie invites the renowned Howard Marks, known for establishing Oaktree Capital with $140B in AUM and earning a reputation as an investing legend for his consistent performance, unconventional investments, and insightful memos. In their discussion, Howard shares his views on various topics, including A.I., Bitcoin, and his prediction that the financial markets are undergoing a significant transformation, which he believes is the third such occurrence in his illustrious 50-year career.
Howard is the author of several books on investing, including "The Most Important Thing" and "Mastering the Market Cycles," which have been widely praised for their insights into the investment process.
IN THIS EPISODE YOU’LL LEARN:
0:00 - Intro.
01:53 - His prediction that the financial markets are entering a Sea Change, the third such event he has seen in his over 50 year career.
02:16 - Why this Sea Change differs from normal market cyclicality.
18:58 - How a more moderate interest rate environment affects global debt and his risk assessments.
36:28 - How studies of Japan influenced his investing philosophies.
48:21 - His thoughts on A.I., Bitcoin, Japan & China.
56:14 - Also included are some of Howard’s personal insights.
Disclaimer: Slight discrepancies in the timestamps may occur due to podcast platform differences.
BOOKS AND RESOURCES
- Related episode: Listen to TIP378: Move Forward With Caution w/ Howard Marks or watch the video here.
- Related episode: Listen to TIP497: Lessons From Billionaire Howard Marks or watch the video here.
- Related episode: Listen to TIP073: Billionaire Howard Marks – The Most Important Thing or watch the video here.
- Visit: Oaktree Capital Management.
- Howard Marks Memos.
- Check out: Mastering the Market Cycle by Howard Marks.
- Check out: The Most Important Thing by Howard Marks.
- Check out: Mistakes Were Made (But Not by Me): Third Edition: Why We Justify Foolish Beliefs, Bad Decisions, and Hurtful Acts by Carol Tavris.
- Trey Lockerbie's Twitter.
NEW TO THE SHOW?
- Check out our We Study Billionaires Starter Packs.
- Browse through all our episodes (complete with transcripts) here.
- Try our tool for picking stock winners and managing our portfolios: TIP Finance Tool.
- Enjoy exclusive perks from our favorite Apps and Services.
- Stay up-to-date on financial markets and investing strategies through our daily newsletter, We Study Markets.
P.S The Investor’s Podcast Network is excited to launch a subreddit devoted to our fans in discussing financial markets, stock picks, questions for our hosts, and much more! Join our subreddit r/TheInvestorsPodcast today!
- Invest in Bitcoin with confidence on River. It's the most secure way to buy Bitcoin with 100% full reserve custody and zero fees on recurring orders.
- If you’re aware you need to improve your bitcoin security but have been putting it off, Unchained Capital‘s Concierge Onboarding is a simple way to get started—sooner rather than later. Book your onboarding today and at checkout, get $50 off with the promo code FUNDAMENTALS.
- Get the professional support you need to prepare for your future career with UBC Sauder School of Business.
- Make connections, gain knowledge, and uplift your governance CV by becoming a member of the AICD today.
- Easily diversify beyond stocks and bonds, and build wealth through streamlined CRE investing with EquityMultiple.
- Send, spend, and receive money around the world easily with Wise.
- What does happen when money and big feelings mix? Tune in to find out on the new podcast, Open Money, presented by Servus Credit Union.
- Apply for the Employee Retention Credit easily, no matter how busy you are, with Innovation Refunds.
- Have Commonwealth Private‘s Private Bankers take the time to understand your goals and tailor solutions that create less for you to do and more for you to enjoy.
- If you’re into marketing podcasts that walk through how successful entrepreneurs, politicians, and influencers have convinced and persuaded people, then you should give Nudge, hosted by Phil Agnew, a listen!
- Get an overall better student loan experience with College Ave. Plus, get a chance to win a $1,000 college scholarship. No purchase is required.
- Hire expert marketers, on-demand, with MarketerHire. Listeners get a $1,000 credit for first-time customers when you use code WSB.
- Discover the leading community for engaged investors, and the best source of investment analysis and opinion with Seeking Alpha. Listeners get a special deal: Alpha Picks for $99 + 1 month of FREE Seeking Alpha Premium!
- Support our free podcast by supporting our sponsors.
HELP US OUT!
Help us reach new listeners by leaving us a rating and review on Apple Podcasts! It takes less than 30 seconds, and really helps our show grow, which allows us to bring on even better guests for you all! Thank you – we really appreciate it!