Manage episode 360763889 series 1394353
In this episode, William Green chats with Samantha McLemore, the founder of Patient Capital Management. After graduating magna cum laude from Washington & Lee University, she was hired by investing legend Bill Miller & spent 20 years working with him. They co-managed Miller Opportunity Trust, a top-performing mutual fund, for a decade until Bill recently retired & anointed her as his successor. Here, Samantha shares what she’s learned over the last two decades about how to outperform by thinking differently & developing a behavioral edge.
IN THIS EPISODE YOU’LL LEARN:
00:00 - Intro
03:09 - How Samantha McLemore & Bill Miller met while she was an undergraduate.
09:53 - How an insurance settlement from a dog bite sparked her interest in investing.
16:55 - What it was like being with Bill as the market crashed after 9/11.
24:32 - Why Samantha & Bill love to invest during times of fear, pessimism, & panic.
27:43 - Why Bill & Samantha are betting on Bitcoin despite Warren Buffett’s skepticism.
41:52 - What Samantha looks for when investing in early-stage companies.
45:48 - Why it’s rational to be a long-term bull about US stocks.
50:31 - Why it’s critical to focus on valuation, regardless of how good a company may be.
57:44 - What she’s learned from spending time with Amazon founder Jeff Bezos.
01:12:19 - How the global financial crisis almost led her to quit the investment business.
01:20:14 - What’s helped her to handle the stress of being a money manager.
01:41:22 - How Samantha invests her own money.
01:42:16 - How she manages her time as a fund manager & mother of three young kids.
01:45:54 - What Peter Lynch said about the necessity of always being “in overdrive.”
01:47:49 - Why Samantha likes to invest in companies run by women.
01:56:37 - How Fidelity’s female customers outperformed male customers by trading less.
Disclaimer: Slight discrepancies in the timestamps may occur due to podcast platform differences.
BOOKS AND RESOURCES
- Samantha McLemore’s investment firm, Patient Capital Management.
- Samantha McLemore’s Opportunity Trust mutual fund.
- Listen to William Green’s podcast interview with Daniel Goleman & Tsoknyi Rinpoche or watch the video here.
- Listen to William Green’s podcast interview with Arnold Van Den Berg or watch the video here.
- Website with information about Neuro Emotional Technique (NET).
- “Thoughts of a Philosophical Fighter Pilot” by Jim Stockdale.
- “The Mindful Self-Compassion Workbook” by Kristin Neff & Christopher Germer.
- William Green’s book, “Richer, Wiser, Happier” – read the reviews of this book.
NEW TO THE SHOW?
- Check out our We Study Billionaires Starter Packs.
- Browse through all our episodes (complete with transcripts) here.
- Try our tool for picking stock winners and managing our portfolios: TIP Finance Tool.
- Enjoy exclusive perks from our favorite Apps and Services.
- Stay up-to-date on financial markets and investing strategies through our daily newsletter, We Study Markets.
- Learn how to better start, manage, and grow your business with the best business podcasts.
P.S The Investor’s Podcast Network is excited to launch a subreddit devoted to our fans in discussing financial markets, stock picks, questions for our hosts, and much more! Join our subreddit r/TheInvestorsPodcast today!
- Invest in Bitcoin with confidence on River. It's the most secure way to buy Bitcoin with 100% full reserve custody and zero fees on recurring orders.
- If you’re aware you need to improve your bitcoin security but have been putting it off, Unchained Capital's Concierge Onboarding is a simple way to get started—sooner rather than later. Book your onboarding today and at checkout, get $50 off with the promo code FUNDAMENTALS.
- Get the professional support you need to prepare for your future career with UBC Sauder School of Business.
- Make connections, gain knowledge, and uplift your governance CV by becoming a member of the AICD today.
- Easily diversify beyond stocks and bonds, and build wealth through streamlined CRE investing with EquityMultiple.
- Send, spend, and receive money around the world easily with Wise.
- What does happen when money and big feelings mix? Tune in to find out on the new podcast, Open Money, presented by Servus Credit Union.
- Apply for the Employee Retention Credit easily, no matter how busy you are, with Innovation Refunds.
- Have Commonwealth Private's Private Bankers take the time to understand your goals and tailor solutions that create less for you to do and more for you to enjoy.
- If you're into marketing podcasts that walk through how successful entrepreneurs, politicians, and influencers have convinced and persuaded people, then you should give Nudge, hosted by Phil Agnew, a listen!
- Get an overall better student loan experience with College Ave. Plus, get a chance to win a $1,000 college scholarship. No purchase is required.
- Hire expert marketers, on-demand, with MarketerHire. Listeners get a $1,000 credit for first-time customers when you use code WSB.
- Discover the leading community for engaged investors, and the best source of investment analysis and opinion with Seeking Alpha. Listeners get a special deal: Alpha Picks for $99 + 1 month of FREE Seeking Alpha Premium!
- Support our free podcast by supporting our sponsors.
HELP US OUT!
Help us reach new listeners by leaving us a rating and review on Apple Podcasts! It takes less than 30 seconds, and really helps our show grow, which allows us to bring on even better guests for you all! Thank you – we really appreciate it!