Manage episode 362025997 series 1394353
Stig has invited legend investor Chris Bloomstran from Semper Augustus to teach us how to value Berkshire Hathaway on today's show. Semper Augustus has an outstanding track record with a CAGR of 11.5% since his fund's inception on 2/28/1999, compared to 6.9% for the S&P500.
There is no one in the space we respect as much as Chris Bloomstran when valuing the intrinsic value of Berkshire Hathaway.
IN THIS EPISODE YOU’LL LEARN:
00:00 - Intro
10:21 - The intrinsic value of Berkshire Hathaway and what the P/B of Berkshire Hathaway tells us & what it doesn’t tell us.
16:34 - How to think about depreciation and maintenance CAPEX
19:02 - Why the insurance business is worth approximately as much as the energy and railroad businesses combined
35:17 - How to think about Berkshire Hathaway’s bigger equity positions
1:13:49 - Where you can use Berkshire Hathaway to park cash?
Disclaimer: Slight discrepancies in the timestamps may occur due to podcast platform differences.
BOOKS AND RESOURCES
- Join the exclusive TIP Mastermind Community to engage in meaningful stock investing discussions with Stig, Clay, and the other community members.
- Listen to Stig’s masterclass with Chris Bloomstran on valuing Berkshire Hathaway or watch the video.
- Tune in to Stig’s masterclass with Chris Bloomstran on equity valuations or watch the video.
- Chris Bloomstran’s website.
- Read Chris Bloomstran’s letters to his clients.
- Buffett resource on CNBC.
NEW TO THE SHOW?
- Check out our We Study Billionaires Starter Packs.
- Browse through all our episodes (complete with transcripts) here.
- Try our tool for picking stock winners and managing our portfolios: TIP Finance Tool.
- Enjoy exclusive perks from our favorite Apps and Services.
- Stay up-to-date on financial markets and investing strategies through our daily newsletter, We Study Markets.
- Learn how to better start, manage, and grow your business with the best business podcasts.
Support our free podcast by supporting our sponsors: