Manage episode 361408583 series 1394353
In this episode, William Green talks with Jason Karp, a prodigiously talented investor & entrepreneur whom he also profiled in his book, “Richer, Wiser, Happier.” Jason founded Tourbillon Capital Partners, where he managed $4.5 billion. He then quit the hedge fund business & created HumanCo, a holding company that invests in the health & wellness sector. Here, he speaks with extraordinary candor about his relentless quest for financial & professional success, & how his obsession with overachievement almost destroyed him.
IN THIS EPISODE YOU’LL LEARN:
00:00 - Intro
04:27 - How Jason Karp switched from underachiever to “hyper-neurotic overachiever.”
09:32 - How his obsession with productivity devastated his health.
25:01 - How he transformed his health, healing diseases that seemed incurable.
35:34 - What he learned about how to eat well for health & longevity.
53:13 - Why it’s helpful to “confuse your body” with random stressors.
54:32 - How the best investors succeed by deferring gratification.
1:09:17 - How Jason simplifies his life to reduce the impact of “decision fatigue.”
1:13:37 - How he designed his hedge fund’s offices to promote productivity & good health.
1:25:08 - What’s helped him most in dealing with his mental health challenges.
1:25:25 - How he came to be suicidally depressed at the pinnacle of his investment career.
1:28:24 - How he thinks about money, family, happiness, & fulfillment.
1:29:24 - Why founding a health & wellness conglomerate brought him a new level of joy.
Disclaimer: Slight discrepancies in the timestamps may occur due to podcast platform differences.
BOOKS AND RESOURCES
- Jason Karp’s company, HumanCo.
- Hu Chocolate brand co-created by Jason Karp.
- Why Zebras Don’t Get Ulcers by Robert Sapolsky.
- Undo It! by Dean Ornish M.D. & Anne Ornish
- The Longevity Diet by Valter Longo.
- Peter Attia’s book Outlive: The Science and Art of Longevity
- Young Forever by Dr. Mark Hyman
- Tara Brach’s book, “Radical Acceptance,” & her website.
- How To Change Your Mind by Michael Pollan.
- William Green’s book, “Richer, Wiser, Happier” – read the reviews of this book.
NEW TO THE SHOW?
- Check out our We Study Billionaires Starter Packs.
- Browse through all our episodes (complete with transcripts) here.
- Try our tool for picking stock winners and managing our portfolios: TIP Finance Tool.
- Enjoy exclusive perks from our favorite Apps and Services.
- Stay up-to-date on financial markets and investing strategies through our daily newsletter, We Study Markets.
- Learn how to better start, manage, and grow your business with the best business podcasts.
P.S The Investor’s Podcast Network is excited to launch a subreddit devoted to our fans in discussing financial markets, stock picks, questions for our hosts, and much more! Join our subreddit r/TheInvestorsPodcast today!
- Invest in Bitcoin with confidence on River. It's the most secure way to buy Bitcoin with 100% full reserve custody and zero fees on recurring orders.
- Beat FOMO and move faster than the market with AlphaSense.
- Make connections, gain knowledge, and uplift your governance CV by becoming a member of the AICD today.
- What does happen when money and big feelings mix? Tune in to find out on the new podcast, Open Money, presented by Servus Credit Union.
- Capitalize on the rapidly growing cybersecurity market today with Atakama.
- Have Commonwealth Private‘s Private Bankers take the time to understand your goals and tailor solutions that create less for you to do and more for you to enjoy.
- If you’re into marketing podcasts that walk through how successful entrepreneurs, politicians, and influencers have convinced and persuaded people, then you should give Nudge, hosted by Phil Agnew, a listen!
- Get yourself a Blockstream Jade — An all-in-one, bitcoin-only hardware wallet that makes protecting your bitcoin so easy. Use the coupon code Fundamentals to get 10% off.
- Apply for the Employee Retention Credit easily, no matter how busy you are, with Innovation Refunds.
- Get an overall better student loan experience with College Ave. Plus, get a chance to win a $1,000 college scholarship. No purchase is required.
- Hire expert marketers, on-demand, with MarketerHire. Listeners get a $1,000 credit for first-time customers when you use code WSB.
- Discover the leading community for engaged investors, and the best source of investment analysis and opinion with Seeking Alpha. Listeners get a special deal: Alpha Picks for $99 + 1 month of FREE Seeking Alpha Premium!
- Support our free podcast by supporting our sponsors.
HELP US OUT!
Help us reach new listeners by leaving us a rating and review on Apple Podcasts! It takes less than 30 seconds, and really helps our show grow, which allows us to bring on even better guests for you all! Thank you – we really appreciate it!