Manage episode 360855794 series 2539397
Patrick Donley sits down with AJ Osborne to learn about his incredible triumph over a debilitating disease which left him paralyzed and how his self-storage investments allowed him to provide for his family. We go into what his first self storage investment looked like and how he was able to scale his company without taking on outside capital. AJ also explains why self storage offers the best opportunity for investors to get involved in commercial real estate and provides some great actionable advice on first steps to get started.
IN THIS EPISODE, YOU’LL LEARN:
00:00 - Intro
05:46 - How AJ was able to provide for his family after a debilitating disease left him paralyzed.
05:46 - How he started multiple companies out of a wheelchair.
16:01 - Why it’s a daily choice to be at your best mentally and emotionally.
31:01 - How they scaled the company with no outside capital.
32:00 - Why he recommends beginning investors have a W-2 income when getting started.
32:14 - Why self storage offers the best opportunity for investors in commercial real estate.
40:00 - What his first investment in self storage looked like.
40:00 - What he means by having a “margin of stupidity”?
43:18 - How he recommends approaching “mom and pop” operators.
64:45 - What does the difference between rich and wealthy means to AJ?
And much, much more!
*Disclaimer: Slight timestamp discrepancies may occur due to podcast platform differences.
BOOKS AND RESOURCES
- Robert’s book The Everything Guide to House Hacking.
- Growing Wealth in Self Storage by AJ Osborne.
- Self Storage Income podcast with AJ Osborne.
- Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki.
- Richer, Wiser, Happier by William Green.
- Related episode: Listen to REI153: 1300 Units in 21 Months w/ Sultan of Storage, or watch the video.
NEW TO THE SHOW?
- Check out our Real Estate 101 Starter Packs.
- Browse through all our episodes (complete with transcripts) here.
- Try our tool for picking stock winners and managing our portfolios: TIP Finance Tool.
- Enjoy exclusive perks from our favorite Apps and Services.
- Stay up-to-date on financial markets and investing strategies through our daily newsletter, We Study Markets.
- Keep up with the latest news and strategies on real estate investing with the best real estate podcasts.
P.S The Investor’s Podcast Network is excited to launch a subreddit devoted to our fans in discussing financial markets, stock picks, questions for our hosts, and much more! Join our subreddit r/TheInvestorsPodcast today!
- Get a FREE audiobook from Audible.
- What does happen when money and big feelings mix? Tune in to find out on the new podcast, Open Money, presented by Servus Credit Union.
- Instead of trying to time the market or pick single stocks, automate your investments and invest in a variety of companies with Betterment.
- Partner with a specialized agency focused on making insurance as easy as possible for real estate investors. Take advantage of monthly reporting, monthly billing, and coverage for all phases of occupancy with National Real Estate Insurance Group.
- Apply for the Employee Retention Credit easily, no matter how busy you are, with Innovation Refunds.
- Support our free podcast by supporting our sponsors.
Connect with Patrick: Twitter