Manage episode 364686771 series 2539397
Robert Leonard chats with Perth Tolle. In this episode, they discuss the relationship between Freedom metrics and returns for emerging markets, the four main autocratic risk factors impacting investments in countries under authoritarian rule, and more!
Perth Tolle is the founder of Life + Liberty Indexes and creator of the Freedom 100 EM Index (FRDM index). Prior to forming Life + Liberty Indexes, Perth was a private wealth advisor at Fidelity Investments in Los Angeles and Houston. Prior to Fidelity, Perth lived and worked in Beijing and Hong Kong, where her observations led her to explore the relationship between freedom and markets. Perth is a frequent speaker at investment industry events and provides commentary for various financial media including Barron’s, Bloomberg, Cheddar, CNBC, CNN, Fox Business, Institutional Investor, MarketWatch, Morningstar, and the Wall Street Journal. Perth was named one of the Ten to Watch in 2020 by Wealth Management Magazine and one of the 100 People Transforming Business by Business Insider in 2021.
IN THIS EPISODE, YOU’LL LEARN:
00:00 - Intro.
03:16 - The relationship between Freedom metrics and returns for emerging markets.
09:34 - The four main elements of autocracy risk for investors in countries under authoritarian rule.
28:26 - What characteristics investors should look for in emerging markets?
35:08 - What Perth’s due diligence process looks like for investments?
41:52 - The biggest trends shaping emerging markets over the coming years.
43:48 - The biggest challenges facing emerging markets.
*Disclaimer: Slight timestamp discrepancies may occur due to podcast platform differences.
BOOKS AND RESOURCES
- Check out: Life + Liberty Indexes and FRDM index.
- Related Episode: Listen to MI260: Top Stock Picks 2023 w/ Logan Kane. or watch the video.
NEW TO THE SHOW?
- Check out our Millennial Investing Starter Packs.
- Browse through all our episodes (complete with transcripts) here.
- Try Robert's favorite tool for picking stock winners and managing our portfolios: TIP Finance.
- Enjoy exclusive perks from our favorite Apps and Services.
- Stay up-to-date on financial markets and investing strategies through our daily newsletter, We Study Markets.
- Learn how to better start, manage, and grow your business with the best business podcasts.
P.S The Investor’s Podcast Network is excited to launch a subreddit devoted to our fans in discussing financial markets, stock picks, questions for our hosts, and much more! Join our subreddit r/TheInvestorsPodcast today!
- Get a FREE audiobook from Audible.
- Instead of trying to time the market or pick single stocks, automate your investments and invest in a variety of companies with Betterment.
- Apply for the Employee Retention Credit easily, no matter how busy you are, with Innovation Refunds.
- Partner with a specialized agency focused on making insurance as easy as possible for real estate investors. Take advantage of monthly reporting, monthly billing, and coverage for all phases of occupancy with National Real Estate Insurance Group.
- Support our free podcast by supporting our sponsors.
Connect with Robert: Twitter