Manage episode 364513055 series 1394353
In this episode, William Green chats with hedge fund manager Christopher Begg, who is the CEO, Chief Investment Officer, & co-founder of East Coast Asset Management. Chris is also a revered professor at Columbia Business School, where he teaches the Security Analysis class that was originally taught by Warren Buffett’s mentor, Ben Graham. Here, Chris shares powerful lessons on how to identify high-quality businesses & build a life that’s defined by a commitment to quality.
IN THIS EPISODE YOU’LL LEARN:
00:00 - Intro
03:54- How Chris Begg came to teach an investing class originally taught by Ben Graham.
10:29 - What Chris learned from his ten fireside chats with Berkshire Hathaway’s Todd Combs.
13:17 - What Buffett & Munger taught Chris about focusing on a few great businesses.
17:58 - How he finds undervalued stocks by asking, “Where are the clouds today?”
26:55 - Why he’s bullish on Meta & Google, despite an array of perceived threats.
36:09 - How he identifies great businesses by seeking 8 layers of competitive advantage.
47:13 - How to succeed through “persistent incremental progress eternally repeated.”
1:00:01 - Why investors can’t afford to ignore a company’s impact on the environment.
1:06:40 - Why consistent kindness is a potent ingredient of success, helping to build trust.
1:15:22 - How Chris gains an edge by continuously compounding his interdisciplinary knowledge.
1:32:17 - What he’s learned about the pursuit of excellence from surfing with Josh Waitzkin.
1:40:48 - Why Chris structures his workday to include meditation & contemplation.
1:50:46 - What studying Andrew Carnegie—once the world’s richest person—has taught him.
1:53:40 - Why Chris believes that the world is headed in a better direction.
Disclaimer: Slight discrepancies in the timestamps may occur due to podcast platform differences.
BOOKS AND RESOURCES
- Chris Begg’s investment firm, East Coast Asset Management.
- One from Many by Dee Hock.
- Nick Sleep’s list of long-term vs short-term characteristics.
- Robert Pirsig’s Zen & the Art of Motorcyle Maintenance, Lila, & On Quality.
- Finite & Infinite Games by James Carse.
- William Green’s book, “Richer, Wiser, Happier” – read the reviews of this book.
- William Green’s Twitter.
NEW TO THE SHOW?
- Check out our We Study Billionaires Starter Packs.
- Browse through all our episodes (complete with transcripts) here.
- Try our tool for picking stock winners and managing our portfolios: TIP Finance Tool.
- Enjoy exclusive perks from our favorite Apps and Services.
- Stay up-to-date on financial markets and investing strategies through our daily newsletter, We Study Markets.
- Learn how to better start, manage, and grow your business with the best business podcasts.
P.S The Investor’s Podcast Network is excited to launch a subreddit devoted to our fans in discussing financial markets, stock picks, questions for our hosts, and much more! Join our subreddit r/TheInvestorsPodcast today!
- Invest in Bitcoin with confidence on River. It's the most secure way to buy Bitcoin with 100% full reserve custody and zero fees on recurring orders.
- If you’re aware you need to improve your bitcoin security but have been putting it off, Unchained Capital‘s Concierge Onboarding is a simple way to get started—sooner rather than later. Book your onboarding today and at checkout, get $50 off with the promo code FUNDAMENTALS.
- What does happen when money and big feelings mix? Tune in to find out on the new podcast, Open Money, presented by Servus Credit Union.
- Make connections, gain knowledge, and uplift your governance CV by becoming a member of the AICD today.
- Enjoy flexibility and support with free cancellation, payment options, and 24/7 service when booking travel experiences with Viator. Download the Viator app NOW and use code VIATOR10 for 10% off your first booking.
- Join over 5k investors in the data security revolution with Atakama.
- Apply for the Employee Retention Credit easily, no matter how busy you are, with Innovation Refunds.
- Invest your retirement savings in what YOU know and are passionate about with a Self-Directed IRA with New Direction Trust Company.
- Send, spend, and receive money around the world easily with Wise.
- Beat FOMO and move faster than the market with AlphaSense.
- Support our free podcast by supporting our sponsors.
HELP US OUT!
Help us reach new listeners by leaving us a rating and review on Apple Podcasts! It takes less than 30 seconds, and really helps our show grow, which allows us to bring on even better guests for you all! Thank you – we really appreciate it!