Manage episode 363258447 series 1394353
On today’s show, we have the honor of interviewing legendary real estate investor and entrepreneur, Sam Zell.
Sam Zell has an impressive background, having started his career in real estate in the late 1960s. He is the founder and chairman of Equity Group Investments, a leading private investment firm. Over the course of his career, Sam has made many bold moves and investments, earning him a reputation as a savvy and fearless investor.
One of Sam's most notable achievements was his role in creating the modern-day real estate investment trust (REIT) industry. He did this by founding Equity Office Properties Trust in 1997, which became the largest office REIT in the United States. In 2007, he sold the company for a record-breaking $39 billion.
Joining us today as a co-host is David Greene, an accomplished real estate investor, and host of the BiggerPockets podcast, one of the most popular and highly-rated podcasts in the real estate investing space.
IN THIS EPISODE YOU’LL LEARN:
00:00 - Intro.
04:49 - How Sam helped pioneer the REIT industry and what improvements he would like to see today
30:42 - What drives him to succeed at 81 years old
35:37 - Why Sam would raise interest rates further if he was the head of the Federal Reserve
49:36 - How Sam thinks through when to buy and when to sell
50:48 - A play-by-play breakdown of how he sold Equity Group Investments to Blackstone for nearly $40 billion dollars
1:06:08 - Why he says “liquidity = value”
Disclaimer: Slight discrepancies in the timestamps may occur due to podcast platform differences.
BOOKS AND RESOURCES
- Join the exclusive TIP Mastermind Community to engage in meaningful stock investing discussions with Stig, Clay, and the other community members.
- Am I Being Too Subtle by Sam Zell Book
- Bigger Pockets Podcast
- Trey Lockerbie Twitter
NEW TO THE SHOW?
- Check out our We Study Billionaires Starter Packs.
- Browse through all our episodes (complete with transcripts) here.
- Try our tool for picking stock winners and managing our portfolios: TIP Finance Tool.
- Enjoy exclusive perks from our favorite Apps and Services.
- Stay up-to-date on financial markets and investing strategies through our daily newsletter, We Study Markets.
- Learn how to better start, manage, and grow your business with the best business podcasts.
Support our free podcast by supporting our sponsors: