Manage episode 363258447 series 1394353
On today’s show, we have the honor of interviewing legendary real estate investor and entrepreneur, Sam Zell.
Sam Zell has an impressive background, having started his career in real estate in the late 1960s. He is the founder and chairman of Equity Group Investments, a leading private investment firm. Over the course of his career, Sam has made many bold moves and investments, earning him a reputation as a savvy and fearless investor.
One of Sam's most notable achievements was his role in creating the modern-day real estate investment trust (REIT) industry. He did this by founding Equity Office Properties Trust in 1997, which became the largest office REIT in the United States. In 2007, he sold the company for a record-breaking $39 billion.
Joining us today as a co-host is David Greene, an accomplished real estate investor, and host of the BiggerPockets podcast, one of the most popular and highly-rated podcasts in the real estate investing space.
IN THIS EPISODE YOU’LL LEARN:
00:00 - Intro.
04:49 - How Sam helped pioneer the REIT industry and what improvements he would like to see today
30:42 - What drives him to succeed at 81 years old
35:37 - Why Sam would raise interest rates further if he was the head of the Federal Reserve
49:36 - How Sam thinks through when to buy and when to sell
50:48 - A play-by-play breakdown of how he sold Equity Group Investments to Blackstone for nearly $40 billion dollars
1:06:08 - Why he says “liquidity = value”
Disclaimer: Slight discrepancies in the timestamps may occur due to podcast platform differences.
BOOKS AND RESOURCES
NEW TO THE SHOW?
- Check out our We Study Billionaires Starter Packs.
- Browse through all our episodes (complete with transcripts) here.
- Try our tool for picking stock winners and managing our portfolios: TIP Finance Tool.
- Enjoy exclusive perks from our favorite Apps and Services.
- Stay up-to-date on financial markets and investing strategies through our daily newsletter, We Study Markets.
- Learn how to better start, manage, and grow your business with the best business podcasts.
P.S The Investor’s Podcast Network is excited to launch a subreddit devoted to our fans in discussing financial markets, stock picks, questions for our hosts, and much more! Join our subreddit r/TheInvestorsPodcast today!
- Invest in Bitcoin with confidence on River. It's the most secure way to buy Bitcoin with 100% full reserve custody and zero fees on recurring orders.
- If you’re aware you need to improve your bitcoin security but have been putting it off, Unchained Capital‘s Concierge Onboarding is a simple way to get started—sooner rather than later. Book your onboarding today and at checkout, get $50 off with the promo code FUNDAMENTALS.
- What does happen when money and big feelings mix? Tune in to find out on the new podcast, Open Money, presented by Servus Credit Union.
- Make connections, gain knowledge, and uplift your governance CV by becoming a member of the AICD today.
- Beat FOMO and move faster than the market with AlphaSense.
- Send, spend, and receive money around the world easily with Wise.
- Join over 5k investors in the data security revolution with Atakama.
- Apply for the Employee Retention Credit easily, no matter how busy you are, with Innovation Refunds.
- Discover the leading community for engaged investors, and the best source of investment analysis and opinion with Seeking Alpha. Listeners get a special deal: Alpha Picks for $99 + 1 month of FREE Seeking Alpha Premium!
- Unravel the fascinating story of Elon Musk’s unexpected bid to buy Twitter, and all of the drama that has happened since then with Flipping The Bird: Elon vs. Twitter.
- Invest your retirement savings in what YOU know and are passionate about with a Self-Directed IRA with New Direction Trust Company.
- Support our free podcast by supporting our sponsors.
HELP US OUT!
Help us reach new listeners by leaving us a rating and review on Apple Podcasts! It takes less than 30 seconds, and really helps our show grow, which allows us to bring on even better guests for you all! Thank you – we really appreciate it!