Manage episode 360187604 series 1394353
On today’s episode, Clay sits down with Chris Mayer to discuss the lessons from his book - 100 Baggers.
Chris is the author of 100 Baggers, and the portfolio manager of Woodlock House Family Capital. Chris’s book was published in 2018, and has quickly become a favorite within the investing community. The book very clearly explains the ingredients needed for a stock to compound and grow to 100 Bagger status, which we discuss during this episode.
IN THIS EPISODE YOU’LL LEARN:
00:00 - Intro
04:16 - The primary characteristics of companies that reached 100 Bagger status.
07:08 - How Chris views valuation when purchasing high-quality companies.
09:51 - How Chris assesses the durability of a moat.
18:15 - Why stocks are one of the best long-term protections against calamity and chaos.
44:27 - Why Chris prefers to own companies with management teams that own substantial portions of the company’s stock.
35:13 - Why Chris chose to concentrate his fund into only 10 holdings.
37:04 - Chris’s assessment of Constellation Software and why it’s one of his favorite holdings.
Disclaimer: Slight discrepancies in the timestamps may occur due to podcast platform differences.
BOOKS AND RESOURCES
- Tune into our previous episode covering The Joys of Compounding or watch the video.
- Check out our recent episode covering Mark Leonard's Letters and Constellation Software or watch the video.
- Chris’s fund: Woodlock House Family Capital.
- Chris Mayer’s book: 100 Baggers.
- Thomas Phelps’ book: 100 to 1 in the Stock Market.
- Barton Biggs’ book: War, Wealth & Wisdom.
- Follow Chris on Twitter.
- Follow Clay on Twitter.
NEW TO THE SHOW?
- Check out our We Study Billionaires Starter Packs.
- Browse through all our episodes (complete with transcripts) here.
- Try our tool for picking stock winners and managing our portfolios: TIP Finance Tool.
- Enjoy exclusive perks from our favorite Apps and Services.
- Stay up-to-date on financial markets and investing strategies through our daily newsletter, We Study Markets.
- Learn how to better start, manage, and grow your business with the best business podcasts.
P.S The Investor’s Podcast Network is excited to launch a subreddit devoted to our fans in discussing financial markets, stock picks, questions for our hosts, and much more! Join our subreddit r/TheInvestorsPodcast today!
- Invest in Bitcoin with confidence on River. It's the most secure way to buy Bitcoin with 100% full reserve custody and zero fees on recurring orders.
- If you’re aware you need to improve your bitcoin security but have been putting it off, Unchained Capital's Concierge Onboarding is a simple way to get started—sooner rather than later. Book your onboarding today and at checkout, get $50 off with the promo code FUNDAMENTALS.
- Get the professional support you need to prepare for your future career with UBC Sauder School of Business.
- Make connections, gain knowledge, and uplift your governance CV by becoming a member of the AICD today.
- Easily diversify beyond stocks and bonds, and build wealth through streamlined CRE investing with EquityMultiple.
- Get yourself a Blockstream Jade -- An all-in-one, bitcoin-only hardware wallet that makes protecting your bitcoin so easy. Use the coupon code Fundamentals to get 10% off.
- What does happen when money and big feelings mix? Tune in to find out on the new podcast, Open Money, presented by Servus Credit Union.
- Apply for the Employee Retention Credit easily, no matter how busy you are, with Innovation Refunds.
- Have Commonwealth Private's Private Bankers take the time to understand your goals and tailor solutions that create less for you to do and more for you to enjoy.
- Send, spend, and receive money around the world easily with Wise.
- Discover the leading community for engaged investors, and the best source of investment analysis and opinion with Seeking Alpha. Listeners get a special deal: Alpha Picks for $99 + 1 month of FREE Seeking Alpha Premium!
- Support our free podcast by supporting our sponsors.
HELP US OUT!
Help us reach new listeners by leaving us a rating and review on Apple Podcasts! It takes less than 30 seconds, and really helps our show grow, which allows us to bring on even better guests for you all! Thank you – we really appreciate it!