Manage episode 307544271 series 2637014
Have you wanted to work with RSS feeds in Python? Maybe you’re looking for a new project to build for your portfolio that uses Django, unit tests, and custom commands. This week on the show, we have Real Python author Ricky White to talk about his recent step-by-step project titled, “Build a Content Aggregator in Python.”
Ricky has been authoring the Real Python interview series for several years and was formerly our Community Manager. He talks about what inspired him to create this project and the Python technology and libraries to build it. He also shares advice about adding tests to personal portfolio projects.
We start the show by discussing Python’s GIL (Global Interpreter Lock) and the efforts to potentially remove it in future versions of Python. This change could make a significant impact on Python code running on multi-core processors. We talk about two recent articles covering the developments.
Course Spotlight: Get Started With Django: Build a Portfolio App
In this course, you’ll learn the basics of creating powerful web applications with Django, a Python web framework. You’ll build a portfolio website to showcase your web development projects, complete with a fully functioning blog.
- 00:00:00 – Introduction
- 00:02:07 – Citizenship
- 00:03:52 – Ricky’s Real Python interviews
- 00:05:55 – Upcoming interview with Eric Wastl about Advent of Code
- 00:08:05 – Notes From the Meeting On Python GIL Removal
- 00:18:41 – Sponsor: Cloudsmith
- 00:19:26 – Build a Content Aggregator in Python
- 00:20:28 – Django background
- 00:23:37 – What web technologies were you using before Python?
- 00:25:07 – What motivated the project?
- 00:26:46 – Technical hurdles
- 00:30:52 – Including tests in a portfolio project
- 00:32:56 – Django custom commands
- 00:37:02 – Video Course Spotlight
- 00:38:16 – RSS Feeds - Really Simple Syndication and Podcasts
- 00:42:16 – Working with django-apscheduler
- 00:47:06 – Taking the project further and CSS frameworks
- 00:51:04 – What are you excited about in the world of Python?
- 00:53:58 – What do you want to learn next?
- 00:55:52 – Shoutouts and social connections
- 00:56:57 – Thanks and goodbye
- About Ricky White – Real Python
- Build a Content Aggregator in Python: Real Python project-based tutorial
- About - Advent of Code 2021
- A viable solution for Python concurrency: LWN.net
- Notes From the Meeting On Python GIL Removal Between Python Core and Sam Gross
- What Is the Python Global Interpreter Lock (GIL)? – Real Python
- nogil: Python Multithreading without GIL
- Walk AS One
- What is Ankylosing Spondylitis?
- Spondy News
- Writing custom django-admin commands | Django documentation
- django-apscheduler - A Django app that adds a lightweight wrapper around APScheduler
- RabbitMQ - Messaging that just works
- RSS: Really Simple Syndication- Wikipedia
- Flipboard - Stories from 28,875 topics personalized for you
- NetNewsWire: Free and Open Source RSS Reader for Mac and iOS
- Welcome to Feedly
- Bootstrap - The most popular HTML, CSS, and JS library in the world
- Tailwind CSS - Rapidly build modern websites without ever leaving your HTML
- Python Software Foundation News: 2021 End of the year fundraiser!
- Structural Pattern Matching Python 3.10: Cool New Features for You to Try
- Ricky’s Twitter- (@endlesstrax)
- Endlesstrax: Ricky’s Website