Manage episode 338432253 series 1394353
IN THIS EPISODE, YOU’LL LEARN:
- 18:35 - How the Great Inflation of 1965-81 shaped Jim Grant’s views on our current predicament.
- 25:31 - How history shows us that human behavior around money has never really changed.
- 30:50 - Why it’s futile to forecast interest rates, but wise to know what’s happened in the past.
- 42:53 - How the Federal Reserve sparked rampant inflation, why it’s scary, & how to deal with it.
- 55:16 - How central bankers illustrate the perils of overconfidence & the need for humility.
- 1:03:20 - How the Fed could wreck the U.S. economy while attempting to tame inflation.
- 1:07:01 - What investment opportunities Jim sees in this high-risk economic environment.
- 1:10:43 - Why he’s bearish on bonds as a 40-year cycle of falling interest rates comes to an end.
- 1:19:40 - Why Jim likes gold, not Bitcoin, as a protection against financial chaos & monetary folly.
- 1:35:07 - Why he adamantly refuses to invest in China.
- 1:28:47 - What Jim thinks of great investors like Seth Klarman, Paul Tudor Jones, & Bill Miller.
- 1:36:14 - How to handle the emotional challenge of investing when the stock market is tumbling.
- 1:40:57 - What we can learn from Bernard Baruch, one of the best investors of the 20th century.
- 1:44:22 - What you can learn from a classic investment book about the secret of “dying rich.”
- 1:53:10 - What Jim regards as “the most precious commodity” in life.
*Disclaimer: Slight timestamp discrepancies may occur due to podcast platform differences.
BOOKS AND RESOURCES
- Jim Grant’s website for Grant’s Interest Rate Observer.
- Subscribe to Almost Daily Grant’s, a free (almost) daily commentary on financial markets.
- Grant’s Current Yield Podcast, which is co-hosted by Jim & his colleague Evan Lorenz.
- Jim’s annual investment conference in New York City.
- Jim’s book Bernard M. Baruch: The Adventures of a Wall Street Legend.
- Jim’s book Bagehot: The Life and Times of the Greatest Victorian.
- Jim’s investment recommendation, Palm Valley Capital Value Fund.
- William Green interviews Bill Miller about Bitcoin on the “Richer, Wiser, Happier” podcast.
- William Green’s book, “Richer, Wiser, Happier” – read the reviews of this book.
- William Green’s Twitter.
NEW TO THE SHOW?
- Check out our We Study Billionaires Starter Packs.
- Browse through all our episodes (complete with transcripts) here.
- Try our tool for picking stock winners and managing our portfolios: TIP Finance Tool.
- Enjoy exclusive perks from our favorite Apps and Services.
P.S The Investor’s Podcast Network is excited to launch a subreddit devoted to our fans in discussing financial markets, stock picks, questions for our hosts, and much more! Join our subreddit r/TheInvestorsPodcast today!
- Help empower girls to break free through education, healthcare, child protection, and other wonderful benefits by being a World Vision child sponsor today.
- Make summer dinners stress-free with Freshly. Get $125 off your first five orders today!
- Take the next step in your working life or get ready for a change, by being a Snooze franchise partner.
- Enjoy 50% off Remote’s full suite of global employment solutions for your first employee for three months when you use promo code WSB.
- Invest in high-quality, cash-flowing real estate without all of the hassle with Passive Investing.
- Confidently take control of your online world without worrying about viruses, phishing attacks, ransomware, hacking attempts, and other cybercrimes with Avast One.
- Send, spend, and receive money around the world easily with Wise.
- Book your next simple tour or extreme adventure through Viator, the world’s leading travel experience marketplace. Use code VIATOR10 for 10% off your first booking.
- Get up to 3% Daily Cashback on everything you buy with Apple Card. Apply now in the Wallet app on iPhone and start using it right away. Subject to credit approval. Daily cash is available via an Apple Cash card or as a statement credit. See Apple Card customer agreement for terms and conditions. Apple Cash card is issued by Green Dot Bank, Member FDIC. Variable APRs range from 13.24% to 24.24% based on creditworthiness. Rates as of August 1, 2022.
- Support our free podcast by supporting our sponsors.
HELP US OUT!
Help us reach new listeners by leaving us a rating and review on Apple Podcasts! It takes less than 30 seconds, and really helps our show grow, which allows us to bring on even better guests for you all! Thank you – we really appreciate it!