Manage episode 362114370 series 2539397
Patrick Donley sits down with Jonathan Barr to talk about how he renovated 400 homes in Los Angeles with his family business, how he 1031’ed some duplexes he owned into investing in Midwest multi-family, how he’s managing his properties remotely, why he is a big fan of interest only loans and cost segregation studies, what his “Why?” is, and why mental health advocacy is important to him.
IN THIS EPISODE, YOU’LL LEARN:
00:00 - Intro
06:40 - How they managed 400 flips in Los Angeles over a 10 year period.
10:18 - How some duplexes he bought in LA after the Great Financial Crisis provided the capital to start his next venture.
11:00 - What his next steps were after the fix and flip business became saturated?
14:09 - How he transitioned away from the family business and started JB2 Investments.
15:11 - Why he chooses to invest in multi-family in the Midwest.
15:11 - How he tripled his cash flow by investing in Midwest multi-family.
19:40 - Why he is a fan of interest only loans.
22:45 - How he’s managing his properties remotely.
22:45 - What the pros and cons of working in his family’s business were.
33:16 - What the advantages of cost segregation studies are.
37:48 - Understanding the advantages of a 1031 exchange.
43:51 - What Jonathan’s “Why?” is.
48:54 - Why he is a strong advocate for men’s mental health and how he practices self-care.
And much, much more!
*Disclaimer: Slight timestamp discrepancies may occur due to podcast platform differences.
BOOKS AND RESOURCES
- Moses Kagan’s blog
- Jonathan’s blog and e-book
- Start with Why by Simon Sinek.
- Psychology of Money by Morgan Housel.
- Shoe Dog by Phil Knight.
- Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki.
- Related episode: Listen to REI155: Building a Boutique Property Empire w/ Moses Kagan, or watch the video.
- Related episode: Listen to REI173: The Power of Cost Segregation w/ Yonah Weiss, or watch the video.
- Related episode: Listen to REI170: Transforming Spaces w/ Antonia Botera, or watch the video.
- Related episode: Listen to REI159: From Receptionist to Urban Infill Developer w/ Sean Sweeney, or watch the video.
NEW TO THE SHOW?
- Check out our Real Estate 101 Starter Packs.
- Browse through all our episodes (complete with transcripts) here.
- Try our tool for picking stock winners and managing our portfolios: TIP Finance Tool.
- Enjoy exclusive perks from our favorite Apps and Services.
- Stay up-to-date on financial markets and investing strategies through our daily newsletter, We Study Markets.
- Keep up with the latest news and strategies on real estate investing with the best real estate podcasts.
P.S The Investor’s Podcast Network is excited to launch a subreddit devoted to our fans in discussing financial markets, stock picks, questions for our hosts, and much more! Join our subreddit r/TheInvestorsPodcast today!
- Get a FREE audiobook from Audible.
- Instead of trying to time the market or pick single stocks, automate your investments and invest in a variety of companies with Betterment.
- What does happen when money and big feelings mix? Tune in to find out on the new podcast, Open Money, presented by Servus Credit Union.
- Apply for the Employee Retention Credit easily, no matter how busy you are, with Innovation Refunds.
- Enjoy soft, stretchy bottoms that last forever with birddogs. Use promo code INVESTING and get a free Yeti-style tumbler with every order.
- Partner with a specialized agency focused on making insurance as easy as possible for real estate investors. Take advantage of monthly reporting, monthly billing, and coverage for all phases of occupancy with National Real Estate Insurance Group.
- Support our free podcast by supporting our sponsors.