Manage episode 295647650 series 2932432
Welcome to the Basketball Coaches Roundtable. This episode features Robert Jones, the Head Coach of Norfolk State University, as the guest of the roundtable. Last season he guided Norfolk State to the MEAC championship and earn a trip to the NCAA Tournament, where they knocked off Appalachian State in the first round. Coach Jones is ranked 5th among NCAA Division 1 coaches for most conference wins over the last 5 years.
Topics discussed at the Roundtable:
- The rise to head coach.
- What are his programs core values.
- How is the recruiting base for NSU in Virginia?
- How do you plan for your conference and NCAA Tournament runs?
- How do you keep players mentally prepared when you are playing opponents 4-5 times?
- What is your biggest flaw as a coach and how are you working on improving it?
- Have you heard more from higher level recruits now given the social climate and NSU being a HBCU?
- What is your opinion on the idea that HBCU coaches get overlooked by schools outside of HBCU conferences for jobs?
- How do you monitor effort?
- How much practice time do you spend on running set offenses?
- What are the teams you are studying now?
- How did you develop your match-up zone defense?
Sitting at the Roundtable:
- Ben Newman - Host
- Elle Greene - Head Coach, BCAM HS, Brooklyn, NY
- Sean Clores - Assistant Coach, Sarah Lawrence College, Bronxville, NY